We have started re-writing the code in .NET for our flagship paratransit management application, ParaPlan. I am very excited about this endeavor and Tim is leading the development process, codename 'Goldstar'. Read his post about it here.
I wrote the initial version in 1999 using VBA for Microsoft Access 2000. Carl wanted us to write it in FoxPro because he had some experience with it. I built some initial functions for the system in FoxPro, but I wanted to be in Access. Access 2000 had recently been released and I convinced Carl that it was in our best inerests to use a true Microsoft product.
Some of the most significant issues I had to solve during the initial development of ParaPlan were:
1) Teaching myself ADO to access data in VB.
2) Using MapInfo in the background using OLE.
3) Getting custom controls to install properly on client machines.
4) Creating a successful install program.
5) Splitting the database to create a true multi-user application.
6) Using VB to control legacy MapBasic code.
I am so glad to be leaving this technology behind.
We plan to have users install our software quickly with the push of a button using 'ClickOnce' technology.
Wish us luck!